Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Beaver Story

This is one of Jenn's favorite stories....

Back in October I was sitting in my dining room talking with Megan's Papa, when Megan yells out with excitement, "there's a beaver in our back yard"....our dogs had been barking so, I run out to the back yard, I don't see anything but, I do hear some brush moving but, that was it...no animal sighting.

I went back in the house and talked to Megan about what she saw, she was adamant that it was a beaver! She said it was a lot bigger than our cats but, not as big as or dogs (we have big dogs)...she was sure it had a flat tail. We went round and round about it, Papa and I didn't think that it was a beaver but, we didn't want to discourage her about what she saw. The smart girl she is could tell by the questions we were asking that we didn't believe her.

That evening Megan told my husband she saw a "wild beaver". So, every time my husband went outside he would say...."I really hope I don't get attacked by a wild beaver, I don't think I could handle it". There were several more jokes about the wild beaver for the next couple of days.

We decided to go out to breakfast on Saturday morning.....we leave early because we only have one good breakfast place in town and it's small and fills up fast. It's very popular with the locals. Anyway, we were about a 1/2 to a mile from our house when we see a dead animal in the road...a big one. We drive by it, I don't look 'cause I hate seeing dead animals...and my husband whispers to me..."I think that's a beaver". Megan is in the back seat, she didn't see it but, she could hear us whispering about it. We mentioned that we weren't sure but, we think that the animal in the road could be a beaver.

We had a very good breakfast and on the way back home we made sure to take a good look at the poor dead animal. YES...IT WAS A BEAVER! We all looked at it with amazement. All Megan could say was....I told you I saw a beaver. She pointed out the big flat tail, it was really cool to see it (very sad that it was dead). Now the talk changed to...do you think that was my beaver?....Megan was pretty sure it wasn't her beaver because she said her's was black and this one was clearly brown. My husband with all his worldly knowledge tells her...when beavers are dry their hair is brown but, when beavers are wet their hair is black. WHY! Why would he say that to her....all he had to say was...you right that's not your beaver. Good thing Megan is as head strong as she is because she didn't believe him. However, we haven't had any wild beaver sitings since.

I have to say, this story is a lot funnier when I tell it, instead of writing it....you know with all the inflection and on certain words and little looks to really sell the innuendo.

I'm not a confident writer, I'm very self conscious about it....this blog stuff should help me get through that.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Love this story! You are one funny lady, Mel!

Love ya,

Jenn

Christine David said...

I love it! I was pretty sure that Jenn had told me the story and now I am positive. It is quite funny (except for the poor dead Beaver)! And imagine that a little 'ol beaver right up by your house, he must have been lost.

Anonymous said...

Mel this is fantastic! I'm glad my boys are not running around talking about beavers. LOL.

Amy